Just Speak Up 1
Author: Olga Geissler
Publisher: Compass Publishing
Publication date: March 1, 2009
Format / Quality: pdf
Just Speak Up is a series of three books designed to develop English language learners’ speaking abilities by engaging them in conversations on multiple topics in a variety of communicative formats. Many standardized tests of English language proficiency include speaking components in which students are expected to be able to talk for several minutes on a given topic in order to demonstrate their level of oral proficiency. The Just Speak Up series provides instructors with classroom materials to guide students through more than 60 hours of extensive speaking practice. With more than 250 question prompts organized into 20 thematic units in each book, students are bound to find something to talk about in every class period.
The benefits for students who practice this type of extensive speaking include:
(1) Greater confidence at approaching tasks that require students to speak on a given topic
(2) Development of critical thinking skills as they select and organize information to be shared
(3) Development of speaking skills particularly related to detailing personal experiences and explaining personal opinions or preferences
(4) Increased classroom participation through listening, responding, and sharing.
– Sample responses to the questions featured in each unit
– Question guides to help students organize their own responses
– Pair work and group work activities to keep students active and engaged
– Free MP3 CD includes sample response to model intonation and pronunciation of useful phrases and vocabulary